Contributors Page

This page is designed for photographic contributions to the Manx Electric Railway Society website. If you have any views of transport to or on the Isle of Man, particularly pre 1980, and would like to see them added to the website please e-mail first with details to All contributions welcomed.

Until 1957 the Manx Electric Railway, under various ownerships, had always been of private enterprise, but in latter years had suffered hard and difficult times, money was tight and spending kept under control. Cars were finished in what is now known as the austere livery, with minimal lining and lettering, even omitting the full stop after the letter 'R'. Finally in June 1957 the Manx Electric was nationalised, with operations passing to the control of the Manx Government.

Transport enthusiast John Halsall had been visiting the Island for many years and was on the Island immediately after the railway had changed ownership, and has kindly submitted the following views of the railway taken during June 1957. The pictures clearly show the latter days of company operation, before the new owners had been able to stamp their mark on the operation.

The MERS is very grateful for the use of these photographs, which make a welcome addition to the website. Copyright for each view remains with the John Halsall

Car 1 is seen shunting at Laxey station, without any form of fleetname

Car 2, again without any fleetname identification is seen at a wet Derby Castle

Tunnel Car 6 is seen outside the entrance to the Derby Castle complex, about to run around its trailer in readiness for a return journey northwards

Tunnel Car 9 and a 'forties' class trailer sit on the Groudle siding at Derby Castle

Ratchet car 18 fights its way through the weeds outside the then relatively youthful Laxey depot. The car is on its way back to Laxey station to operate a special to Douglas

Winter Saloon 20 in full austere livery with few passengers, but with a goods van attached wait time at Derby Castle station. At hat time goods traffic was still a good source of income and was actively promoted

Paddlebox car 27 in the timeless Laxey station with trailer 56 in the background. Nearly 50 years later you can still take a similar photograph, such is the lack of change to the station area

Trailer 49 of 1893 is caught on the Groudle siding at Derby Castle station

One of only three closed trailers, car 59 is an 18 seater and is now little used. In 1957 it is seen amongst various items of goods stock in Ramsey station. Seven years later Ramsey station was to be dramatically changed with a new station building erected on the land beyond the trailer

Trailer 60 with a ratchet car have been shunted in readiness for a journey northwards whilst car 33 (and probably trailer 61) have just arrived with their load of holiday makers. Another open car can be seen behind the two car sets having just departed from the station. The backdrop is the long since demolished Derby Castle complex


The 10-13 class of MER cars had short lives as passenger carrying units, all being withdrawn early and converted into other uses. This one became Freight car 26 and is a remarkable survivor being now housed disused in the former Homefield bus garage. It is seen whilst still on MER track, but out of use